What type of forest is Himalayas?
There are mainly two types of tropical forests that are found in the Himalayas - the tropical rainforests, and the tropical deciduous forests. The tropical rainforests are dense, evergreen, gloomy and similar to the forests of the Amazon basin and other equatorial areas.
What height is the tree line?
about 4,800 feet
What vegetables grow at high altitude?
Some vegetables that do well at high elevations include:
- Root varieties (carrots, parsnips, turnips, radishes, beets)
- Leafy greens.
Which is the highest plant?
Although typically not so large in volume, the closely related coast redwood (Sequoia sempervirens) of the Pacific coast in North America is taller, reaching a maximum height of 115.
What fruit grows in the mountains?
Fruit Trees and Berries for the Mountain States | Regional Report
- Apricots, apples, cherries, peaches, and pears add edible interest when planted right into your flower borders. ...
- Raspberries can be grown at high elevations and in the valleys. ...
- Apples are grown in almost every part of our region.
What kind of plants live in the mountain?
These include grasses, shrubs, alpine flowers, mosses, and lichens. Above the snow line, almost nothing grows. Only the toughest animals can live up there.
What can you grow in the mountains?
Root vegetables: carrots, beets, radishes, turnips, kohlrabi, rutabaga, potatoes, leeks; Other vegetables: peas, broccoli, cauliflower, Brussels sprouts; Herbs: reliably hardy perennial herbs include French tarragon, horseradish, some mints, and chives.
What fruit can grow in NYC?
The Brooklyn Botanical Garden has several cherry trees, and the NY Botanical Garden has fruit trees too. Quince, pears, avocados, peaches, plums, apricots, tomatoes, and berries grow here too: the farmers' markets in the summer are filled with them.
Can oranges grow in New York?
In New York, planted outdoors in the ground? Yes, I have them ripening on the branches now. No matter if they ripen thoroughly or not because, although they are true oranges, delicious flavor is not one of their assets. ... The plant is the aptly named “hardy orange,” actually a true citrus species, Citrus trifoliata.
Can mango trees grow in New York?
Mangoes (Mangifera indica) are a tropical fruit that need warm conditions to grow. If you live in U.S. Department of Agriculture plant hardiness zones 10b through 11, you can grow mangoes. These trees are not very cold tolerant, and even a mild frost can cause serious damage to parts of the tree.
Can lemon trees grow in NYC?
Lemon trees These trees can flower and fruit throughout the year, making it more likely you'll get some lemons — which you can use for cooking, or making lemonade, according to Kathy Tatem, who manages Fragrance Plants in New York City's flower district.
Can you grow pomegranates in New York?
The pomegranate is tolerant of cold weather, but temperatures much below 20 degrees F will damage the tree. ... Like the peach, the pomegranate fruits on new wood, and will thus fruit even in years of heavier-than-usual pruning. Gardeners who grow the pomegranate as a tree will need to remove suckers each year.
What is the easiest fruit to grow indoors?
Fruits That Are Easy to Grow in an Indoor Garden
- Bananas. ...
- Strawberries. ...
- Avocados. ...
- Oranges. ...
- Lemons. ...
- Raspberries. ...
- Figs. ...
- Blackberries. Blackberries are large, firm fruits that taste best when pulled right from the tree.
What vegetables grow best in NY?
Best Garden Veggies To Grow In Central New York
- Beans: Plant mid June, harvest early September.
- Beets: Plant mid May, harvest early September.
- Broccoli: Plant mid May, harvest late September.
- Carrots: Plant mid June, harvest early September.
- Cucumbers: Plant mid June, harvest mid September.
- Lettuce: Plant early May, harvest early September.
Can tomatoes grow in 12 inches of soil?
Compared to greens, root vegetables and plants in the cabbage family, tomato ( Solanum lycopersicum) plants take up more space in the vegetable garden. These robust plants need a minimum of 12 inches of space, but most varieties grow between 2 and 3 feet wide and have deeper roots, as well.
When can you start planting in New York?
SUMMER VEGGIES: Start seeds indoors in March. Sow seeds outdoors & plant transplants in May-early June. FALL VEGGIES: Start seeds in mid-July. Sow seeds outdoors & plant transplants in mid-August- early September.
Can you grow watermelon in New York?
Heat-loving watermelons can be a challenge to grow in cooler regions of New York. To increase success, choose short-season varieties, start them inside, warm soil with black plastic or IRT mulch, and protect young plants with fabric row covers.
What can I plant now in NY?
Warm-weather veggies like beans, corn, squashes, pumpkins, cucumbers, cantaloupe, and watermelons are all sown directly into the ground.
Can you grow bananas in New York?
Most banana species are tropical and subtropical plants that are not hardy in New York winters. However, bananas can be grown in this area if you have space to bring them indoors in winter. Even large plants can be moved inside by topping off the plant to make it shorter.
What temperature do watermelons grow in?
The best average temperature range for watermelon production during the growing season is between 65°F and 95°F. Temperatures above 95°F or below 50°F will slow the growth and maturation of the crop. Watermelons require a constant supply of moisture during the growing season.
- What do animals in the coniferous forest eat?
- What is a pink tree called?
- How have animals adapted to the forest?
- Where are the majority of coniferous trees located in Canada?
- What is the longitude and latitude of the temperate deciduous forest?
- Is Beech A good firewood?
- Where is the coniferous forest located on the map?
- What plants live in the temperate coniferous forest?
- What lives in a temperate forest?
- What is a popular characteristics of all forests?
You will be interested
- What is the weather like in the coniferous forest?
- Do seals eat penguins?
- Is Spruce a conifer?
- Where is a coniferous forest?
- Why do trees change color?
- What is the unique features of coniferous forest?
- What is the temperature of temperate forests?
- What type of soil is in the temperate forest?
- Where the coniferous trees are found?
- What is the temperature of coniferous forest?