Take a look at the similar writing assignments
Can violets be planted outside?
No, not at all. African violets are tropical plants from East Africa. That's why they make good indoor plants. They would never survive outdoors in most U.S. climates as a normal violet would.
How do you grow sweet violet?
Plant sweet violet in moist, rich soil. If the soil is poor, improve it by digging 2 to 3 inches of compost or manure into the top 6 to 8 inches of soil. Sweet violet tolerates full sunlight, especially in areas with cool summers. Otherwise, the plant prefers an area that is protected from hot afternoon sunlight.
Do violets bloom all year?
They're known to bloom continuously, even throughout the darker months of winter. Place them throughout the house to enjoy their colors and velvety texture throughout the year. Once you get in a regular routine of taking care of African violets, you'll find they grow very easily.
What type of pots are best for African violets?
For best results, plant African violets in African violet pots, which are small (4- to 5-inch) ceramic or plastic self-watering containers. Growing plants in these pots will provide the proper amount of continuous moisture to the plants.
How often should you water African violets?
“How often to water African violets?” is perhaps the most pondered African violet dilemma. The best guide is to feel the top of the soil: if it is dry to the touch, then it is time to water. African violets should be allowed to dry out between each watering for best results. Overwatering can kill a plant.
What do you do if you overwater an African violet?
If you have soft, limp or mushy leaves due to overwatering, first of all stop watering the plant. Then gently remove the soft, limp or mushy leaves and gently remove plant from pot. Gently remove the old soil, not too much soil, as the African Violet plant likes to be root bound.
How often do you feed African violets?
How to Feed African Violet Plants. These little plants need feeding every 4 to 6 weeks during their growing period. Prior to feeding, moisten the soil well. Use a liquid or soluble powder formula that will provide instant delivery.
Why do you water African violets from the bottom?
An important point to remember when bottom watering African Violet plants is to top water at least once a month. This way you are flushing out any extra fertilizer salt build up and refreshing the soil/roots from the top too.
Can African violets be rooted in water?
African violet leaf cuttings can successfully produce roots in water or soil.
How do you revive old African violets?
If a majority of the roots are still white or light-colored, prune off the rotted roots, and re-pot the plant in soil for African violets in a container with several drainage holes. You can water from top or bottom with water at room temperature or slightly warmer. Make sure the plant to drain well.
How big can African violets get?
The range of colors, sizes and leaf forms can be dazzling. Most African violets naturally form a rosette of leaves around one central stem. Some unusual varieties develop multiple trailing stems. Both forms grow in a range of sizes from miniatures less than 3" in diameter to plants as large as a serving platter.
How do you take cuttings from African violets?
African Violets: Propagation by Leaf
- Step 1: Remove and trim leaf. Remove a fresh leaf from the plant that you wish to propagate. ...
- Step 2: Cut leaf petiole. ...
- Step 3: Root the leaf cutting. ...
- Step 4: Plantlets at 12 weeks. ...
- Step 5: Separate plantlets from leaf cutting. ...
- Step 6: Prepare pot for plantlet. ...
- Step 7: Pot plantlet. ...
- Step 8: You're done!
- Why is my Violet not blooming?
- What is Banafsha used for?
- What does violet oil smell like?
- Where is Violet Flavour from?
- Are wild violets annuals or perennials?
- Are purple sweet peas edible?
- Are purple sweet potatoes better than regular sweet potatoes?
- How do you plant sweet violet seeds?
- Can you freeze violets?
- Are eggshells good for African violets?
You will be interested
- Why are the leaves on my African violet turning white?
- What does purple shampoo do for white hair?
- How do I get rid of violet weeds in my lawn?
- Does white and purple go together?
- What color plus what color equals purple?
- Why was purple rice forbidden?
- What colors do you need to make Violet?
- What does violet light mean?
- What is Creme de Violette made of?
- Can you get white violets?