What conditions does borage like?
Borage grows best in full sun but will still perform well in lightly shaded areas provided they are warm enough. It will grow fine in most soil types as long as they are mulched and kept moist. We recommend growing borage in a pot as it spreads easily and can quickly become a nuisance.
What is borage grown for?
Borage is a spring-sown crop grown to produce oil which is high in gamma-linolenic acid, an omega 6 fatty acid, explains Nigel Padbury of Technology Crops. ... There are many benefits to farmers growing borage, including blackgrass control and having a crop that is unaffected by slugs and pigeons.
Where does borage grow in the garden?
Best location: Plant borage in full sun; it will tolerate partial shade. Soil preparation: Grow borage in well-drained but moisture-retentive soil rich in organic matter. Add aged compost to the planting bed and turn it under to 12 inches before planting.
Where does comfrey grow best?
Comfrey grows best in USDA Hardiness Zones 3-9. But will grow almost anywhere. Comfrey prefers a sweet soil with a pH of 6.
Where does comfrey grow in the garden?
Light. Comfrey can grow in full sun to partial shade, meaning it needs at least three hours of direct sunlight on most days. In the warmer parts of its growing zones, plant it where it will get shade from the strong afternoon sun.
Is Comfrey poisonous?
It's considered unsafe, due to the pyrrolizidine alkaloids that comfrey contains. These are dangerous chemicals that can cause cancer, severe liver damage, and even death when you consume them. For this reason, the Food and Drug Administration and European countries have banned oral comfrey products.
Is comfrey plant illegal in the US?
Comfrey is no longer sold in the U.S., except in creams or ointments. The United Kingdom, Australia, Canada, and Germany also have banned the sale of oral products containing comfrey. The dangerous substances in comfrey are also absorbed through the skin, so harmful amounts may build up in the body.
- What does borage mean?
- What color is an aster flower?
- What's the difference between Comfrey and borage?
- How bad is a blue bottle sting?
- How do you germinate borage seeds?
- Which is the saddest flower?
- How tall does borage grow?
- How much GLA is in borage oil?
- Does borage oil contain omega-3?
- What is borage honey?
You will be interested
- Is Borage a perennial UK?
- What are the benefits of borage seed oil?
- Can you eat borage root?
- Are borage leaves toxic?
- How deep are borage roots?
- What does borage attract?
- What does Astro mean in Greek?
- What should not be planted next to tomatoes?
- What are the 10 medicinal plants and their uses?
- What herbs can you eat raw?